Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Z is for Zac Brown...and other country song lyrics.

Ok, yes, I listen to country music. I never used to but one day when I was freelancing at an agency, the Art Director I was filling in for (she was on maternity leave) had a ton of country songs on her desktop. It became background noise for me and I never gave it much thought. Until I discovered Zac Brown. I loved his music from note one. I hate to sound cliche, but it spoke to me. And not in the drunk sing-a-long kind of way when I first heard him. But as I travel on my own road of discovery, I realize that I connect with people doing the same. Enter, Zac Brown (hell, enter a lot of people but for this purpose, ZB).

Let me back up a bit. For those of you who are new, or have forgotten (since it has been forever since I posted something), last year I wanted to make 2014 the year that I discovered who I really was spiritually, and explored letting go of some of my Type A angst. It's been a crazy ride and in doing so, I've opened myself up to new experiences, new beliefs, new perspectives. And one of those is really listening to people's story. And Zac Brown has an amazing one to tell.

In LA, we do a lot of driving. So, I have a lot of time to listen to Pandora (sorry, not a fan of Spotify). I decided to put Zac Brown down as a channel because it felt right for the drives to and from Mammoth. It matched the landscape. So, as I listened, I learned the words. And as I learned the words, I realized Zac is pretty clued into this whole trusting the universe thing I've been into lately. And, my Life Coach once mentioned to me that as I shift, others around me would shift. Or, if they didn't, I would notice what I didn't like in me—in them, and that i would find people more like me. And she was right. I found Zac. Now, we're not besties or anything. I'm not even a crazy hopeful stalker hoping he'll read this and invite me backstage (or...). I'm just saying, as I change, I find more people like me and it's comforting to know someone else gets it. And put it into words outside of this blog.

As a storyteller I really appreciate the beauty in words and thoughts. And here's a few clips I think you will enjoy.

From Let it Go (not to be confused with Let it Go):
Looking back now on my life I can't say I regret it
And all the places that I ended up not the way Ma woulda had it
But you only get once chance at life to leave your mark upon it
And when a pony he comes riding by you better set your sweet ass on it
You keep your heart above your head and you eyes wide open
So this world can't find a way to leave you cold
And know you're not the only ship out on the ocean
Save your strength for things that you can change
Forgive the ones you can't (forgive not just forget, that's serious stuff people. Be kind to each other, forgiveness is hard but anger is harder)
You gotta let 'em go
Like a sweet sunset in Georgia let it go
And like the fear that grabs ahold ya let it go
Let it go
Let it go

From Quiet Your Mind (which, hello....MEDITATION!)
I feel the change
Goin' on all around me
It's strange
How I'm taken and guided
Where I end up right I'm needed to be (trust the universe. You've heard this from me 25 times now. I know this because this is my 26th post)
Quiet your mind
Soak it all in
It's a game you can't win
Enjoy the ride
At the end of the water
A red sun is risin'
And the stars are all goin' away
And if you're too busy talkin'
You're not busy listenin'
To hear what the land has to say

And because I want to show off some of my other country music knowledge, here's one from Darius Rucker (yes, Hootie...he went and got country on you)
For every stoplight I didn't make 
Every chance I did or I didn't take 
All the nights I went too far 
All the girls that broke my heart 
All the doors that I had to close 
All the things I knew but I didn't know 
Thank God for all I missed 
Cause it led me here to This
I didn't understand it way back when 
But sitting here right now it all makes perfect sense (echem, 27)

Recently, things have been coming together for me. Like all my past experiences are suddenly making sense. That maybe everything has happened to bring me to this point, in LA, first with Maddie and now with Petey, as a Type A-er redefining what that means, doing what I do. It's kinda cool to see it all come together. And to hear it in harmony is amazing. Is it a coincidence it has happened while I've been searching or is it because I have been searching it has come to me? Yes. 

Maybe I hear what I want to hear, or read into it what I want. Isn't that the beauty of music? Or connections? Or finding our way? Making sense of it all and finding what we have in common? Accepting what we don't? 

So that's my alphabet. My spiritual journey from A-Z. There's so much more out there so don't be surprised when I repeat a letter. I'm just proud of the 26 ways my life has changed thus far. And I hope it has helped you in some way as well. 12-step programs might work for others but for this Type A-er, 26 (plus?) has been the way to go.

UPDATE: I can't count, I have 2 more to go. Repeated letters will have to wait. Lucky you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment